Monday, November 11, 2013

MYSTERY GIFT 1844

For years I saw this silver tea pot on a shelf in my grandmother's serving hall. It stood there with many more silver pieces, always perfectly polished by her loyal Linnea.

 I never noticed that there was an inscription on one side. It wasn't until I was given the teapot by my mother who had had it for a few years that I looked more closely at it and noticed the rather strange inscription.

 The tea pot is silver plated (and thus not of any great value) and the thin outer silver layer has worn off from the frequent polishing. It is difficult to read the letters -- but the teapot is interesting because of the inscription:
TO
 MR. JOHN WYLD 
FROM A FRIEND 
1844

I am not sure about the letters, so I am guessing. Any suggestion is welcome. It would be interesting to find out more about John and who the mystery friend was.

No comments:

Post a Comment